Skip To Content

Claims for Service Connected Disabilities

When applying for Service Connected Disability benefits, it is not what you “know” happened. Rather, it is what you can “prove” happened as a result of your service.

Author: Unknown

Bronze Start and Purple Heart

The Weld County Veterans Service Office  can assist Weld County veterans with filing for Service Connected Disability Compensation. There is no fee for this service.


You “may” be eligible for Service Connected Compensation if you were:

  • Discharged other than dishonorable conditions, and
  • Injury or illness incurred or a pre-existing injury that was aggravated while on active duty which is chronic today,
  • Illness diagnosed within one year of discharge from active duty,
  • Illness or injury of chronic condition while on active duty,
  • Disability caused by treatment at a VA Medical Center,
  • Illness or injury was not result of willful misconduct on the part of the veteran

The conditions for Service Connected Disabilities fall into two categories: Chronic or Presumptive.


Chronic Condition

Service connected disability claims are for injuries or illnesses that were caused by service or pre-existing conditions that were aggravated by service. This can be for physical and/or emotional trauma. There must be a chronic problem that exists today in order to file a claim for service connection.


Presumption Condition


A veteran can also file a claim for service connected disability under ‘presumption.’ This means that the VA presumes that specific disabilities diagnosed in certain veterans were caused by the circumstances of their military service. There are currently five major categories of veterans under presumption:

  • Atomic Veterans (exposed to ionizing radiation)
  • Former Prisoners of War
  • Gulf War Veterans (undiagnosed Illness)
  • Persian Gulf Service
  • Vietnam Veterans (exposed to Agent Orange)
How to File

To be granted a Service Connected Compensation, you must be able to “prove” the criteria above and that it was linked to your time in service. Therefore, the veteran should research and gather the following documentation:


  • DD214 showing discharge other than dishonorable conditions
  • Current medical diagnosis for claimed conditions
  • Past diagnosis of claimed conditions
  • A connection of claimed conditions that is linked to the time in service
  • If terminal – need Physicians Statement
  • If homeless – need letter from homeless shelter or homeless coordinator on official letterhead
  • Other pertinent documents to support your claim


Please contact the Weld County Veterans Service Office for more information. We will help you gather all necessary forms and evidence for your claim and assist you in the claims process and will conduct interviews with you to develop the claim.


Veterans Services

1008 9th ST
Greeley, CO 80631

Office Hours

Monday -Thursday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Friday 8:00 a.m. - Noon

Amber Peplinski
Veterans Service Officer Supervisor

Phone: (970) 400-3444

Wendy Nally
Assistant Veterans Service Officer

Phone: (970) 400-3447

Nickie Phillips
Assistant Veterans Service Officer

Phone: (970) 400-3445