Skip To Content


Construction Sites Running Efficiently and
Effectively Preventing Pollution

ExcavatorActivities associated with construction and development increase the potential for stormwater pollutants to enter our waterways. The state of Colorado requires a stormwater discharge permit for construction activity disturbing more than one acre of land. For sites that are less than one acre, there are also simple tips you can incorporate so that your project does not impact the water. Becoming familiar with state regulations for construction sites will help you avoid costly enforcement fines and allow your project to be completed without delay.

Projects disturbing more than one acre of land

  • Acquire a permit through the Colorado Water Quality Control Division. To find out more information or see if your site qualifies, click here.
  • As part of your permit, you will need to develop a Stormwater Management Program (SWMP). A SWMP is a detailed description of what actions will be taken to prevent any material (liquid or solid) from leaving the construction site. For guidance on how to prepare your SWMP, click here.
  • Follow your SWMP and keep a copy available. The State requires that each SWMP be onsite and available upon request. Local inspectors may also request to see a copy when they are performing state-required inspections.

All construction projects

  • Incorporate Best Management Practices (BMPs) so that erosion is minimized and no materials or chemicals are leaving your site. Some effective BMPs include silt fences, vehicle tracking areas, rip rap, straw bales, and re-vegetation. Urban Drainage and Flood Control District (UDFCD) is an excellent resource in planning for and implementing BMPs at your construction site.
  • Properly dispose of any hazardous waste. Some hazardous materials commonly used in construction sites include paints, solvents, cleaners, petroleum products, and equipment maintenance fluids. For Weld County hazardous waste disposal information, click here.


Lyndsay Holbrook
MS4 Administrator

Phone: (970) 400-3788

Public Works Department

1111 H Street
P.O. Box 758
Greeley, CO 80632

Phone: (970) 400-3750
Fax: (970) 304-6497