Skip To Content

Temporary Events

NOTICE: Due to regulatory changes effective January 1, 2019, there may be changes that affect your operation. Please see the chart below for updated license types, fees, and new requirements.

License Type


Minor Temporary Food Service Establishment (TFSE)

Full Service TFSE


$50 Single Event License
$270 Calendar Year

$100 Single Event License
$385 Calendar Year

Commissary Required:

Single Event: N

Calendar: Y


Hand washing with hot water under pressure and drain hose:

Single Event: N

Calendar: Y


Commercial Equipment Required (temp control equipment, prep surfaces):



Certified Food Protection Manager (CFPM):


Single Event: N

Calendar: Y


Minor operations include, but are not limited to:

  1. bread (unpackaged)
  2. pastries (unpackaged)
  3. ice cream, popsicles (packaged or unpackaged)
  4. sno cones
  5. cotton candy (packaged or unpackaged)
  6. roasted nuts (packaged or unpackaged)
  7. simple nachos (cheese and limited commercial toppings such as jalapenos)

 Full service operations include, but are not limited to:

  1. burgers, hot dogs
  2. pizza
  3. grilled items (ribs, sausage, meats, etc.)
  4. lemonade (due to need for produce washing)
  5. funnel cakes, corn dogs, etc.
  6. assembling of foods (wraps, sandwiches, tacos etc.)
  7. cooking or reheating TCS foods
  8. dispensing of open foods not listed in minor operation category


  1. No cooling will be permitted on site at any temporary/special event.
  2. Slicing, dicing, and extensive food preparation will only be permitted in a commissary kitchen or mobile unit. 
  3. Foods must be transported at proper hot or cold temperature.
  4. Time as a public health control must be pre-approved.
  5. Additional requirements may apply based on menu.
  6. If operating at a recurring event (series events such as movies in the park, farmer’s market, etc.), only a calendar year license will be approved.


Food Vendor License Types and Requirements
Click here for more information to determine which type of vendor you are and the necessary requirements.
Temporary Event Applications

For coordinators/person or organization holding event (can choose online or print and mail in):  

Online - Temporary Event Coordinator Application

Printable - Temporary Event Coordinator Application

For vendors licensed in Weld County in 2018 or vendors not requiring a license (i.e., cottage food, non-profit, licensed mobile unit, etc.), please complete the following (can choose online or print and mail in):

Online - Abbreviated Temporary Event Vendor Application

Printable - Abbreviated Temporary Event Vendor Application

For vendors not licensed by Weld County in 2018, please complete the following (can choose online or print and mail in):  

Online - Full Temporary Event Vendor Application (for new vendors)

Printable - Full Temporary Event Vendor Application (for new vendors)

Frequently Asked Questions...

What is a temporary event?

A Temporary Event is a single community event or celebration that occurs for a period of time not longer than fourteen consecutive days. This may include town celebrations, fairs, and festivals. Temporary events do not include: regularly scheduled series of events (flea markets, sporting arenas, concert halls, etc.); events serviced by licensed caterers; or sporadic promotional events such as grand openings.  Effective January 1, 2019, some recurring events will be eligible for temporary event licensing.  To be considered a temporary event, a coordinator application must be submitted and approved.

What is the difference between a Mobile Retail Food License and a Temporary Retail Food License?

The main difference between the two is that mobile establishments have to meet more stringent guidelines. Mobile units may be operational year-round, whereas a temporary booth could potentially set up for only one event for one day each year, thus the less restrictive standards for them especially concerning equipment. In addition, mobile units are allowed to operate at multiple locations, whereas the temporary booth may only set up as part of an organized event (a temporary vendor cannot sell five days a week on the corner for example).

If I am a Licensed Mobile unit, do I need to fill out a Temporary Event Vendor Application?

Yes. Mobile units are required to fill out a Vendor Application when participating in an event. Please note that if you are serving separate from your mobile unit (meaning that you set up a tent instead of using your mobile unit), then you will be required to obtain an additional license.

If you have a mobile license issued by the City and County of Denver, you will need to obtain a temporary event license in Weld County.

If I have a temporary event license, can I sell at farmers' markets or corn mazes?

Temporary event licenses are only valid at coordinated events that meet temporary event requirements. These events must have a coordinator application submitted and approved. A farmer’s market may or may not meet the requirements based on how it is planned by the coordinator. Seasonal or holiday markets such as corn mazes, pumpkin patches, etc. do not meet the definition of a temporary event. Temporary event licenses are not valid for these types of events.

What is and isn't allowed to be sold at farmers markets?

If you are selling whole, uncut produce then you do not need a Retail Food Establishment License. If you are going to be selling produce by the slice, or any other potentially hazardous foods (such as prepackaged ice cream, wrapped burritos, cream pies, etc.) then you need to obtain a Retail Food Establishment License. Note: vendors may provide samples of their food product as long as it is done in a clean and sanitary manner. A license is not required for samples.

Why do licensed Retail Food Establishments have to pay for an additional license?

The food license that you obtained is good for your restaurant only. Once operations occur outside the premises (not including the patio), a separate license is required due to the fact that the operations can be completely different from what occurs at the restaurant.

What is the fee for a Temporary Food Establishment License?

The license fee will depend on your operation type. Full service licenses are $100 for a single event, or $385 for a calendar year license. Minor service licenses are $50 per single event, or $270 for a calendar year license. Please refer to the chart at the top of this page for details on license types.   Note: If you have multiple booths and/or units, each booth/unit will need to obtain a license.

Do I need a license if I'm only selling pre-packaged foods?

Maybe. If you are selling non-potentially hazardous foods that are commercially prepared then no, you do not need a license (foods such as bottled soda, candy bars, and bagged chips). If you are selling potentially hazardous prepackaged items then yes, you will need a Retail Food Establishment License (such as prepackaged ice cream, wrapped burritos, etc.). Contact the Health Department if you are unsure of whether your food would be considered potentially hazardous at 970-304-6415.

Do I have to get a new license for each event or will one license cover me for the entire year?

You have the option to do one or the other. If you plan on only attending one event, then there is a single event license. If you would like to participate in multiple events there is a calendar year license. You could also continue to obtain single event licenses throughout the year if you are unsure of how many events you will attend. A temporary event vendor application must be submitted to the event coordinator for each event. If you are a licensed mobile unit, you do not need an additional license for each event provided the mobile unit operates as licensed. Weld County temporary event licenses are not transferrable to other counties. A mobile unit license is transferrable to other counties in Colorado, except City and County of Denver.

When should Vendor Applications be submitted?

All applications for temporary food establishments must be submitted, along with any applicable payment, at least 14 days prior to the event.  Incomplete or missing applications may prevent you from operating at a temporary event.  Applications will not be processed if received within two business days of an event.  

When should Coordinator Applications be submitted?

Coordinator applications and a final list of vendors for events with 1-15 vendors must should be submitted at least 14 days prior to the event.  Applications for events with 16 or more vendors must be submitted at least 30 days prior to the event.

Can I prepare or store food products at home?

No, if a licensed facility. A licensed facility, as per the regulations, cannot make or store any food product for sale at their home residence. The facility must use a commissary, or cook the food product on site.
Yes, under the Colorado Cottage Food Act. This is limited to non-potentially hazardous foods and must labeled and packaged according to the requirements. Foods must be sold only directly to the end consumer. See for more information.
Yes, if a Non-Profit, but Strongly Discouraged. Non-profits are not licensable, and therefore do not have to prepare food at a licensed commissary, unless operating out of a licensed facility, such as a concession stand or school kitchen. The Health Department strongly recommends that the Non-profit try to find a kitchen other than a home kitchen to make the food product (such as a church kitchen, community center, etc.). Documentation of non-profit status may be required.

Is the use of Sterno as a heat source allowed?

No. All equipment must be able to maintain a constant heat/cold source, through means such as electricity, propane, generator, etc.

What is required for proper hand washing set up at a temporary event?

At a minimum, the following is required:
1. Soap
2. Paper towels
3. A container with warm water with a constant flow spigot (not a button style)
4. A wastewater catch bucket

Effective January 1, 2019, full service vendors (single event or calendar year license), and calendar year licensed minor service vendors will be required to provide handwashing with hot water under pressure and a drain hose for waste water. 

Is bare hand contact with ready-to-eat foods allowed?

No. You may not contact any ready-to-eat foods with your bare hands. You must use gloves, tongs, deli tissue, or other approved means in order not to contact ready-to-eat foods with you bare hands. What is a ready-to-eat food? Foods that will not go through another cook step, examples include: sandwiches, cheese for the hamburger, bread, sliced fruit, etc).

Am I a nonprofit if I donate all my proceeds to a nonprofit organization?

Food service is considered non-profit for licensing purposes when all profits go only to a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. The food service must be conducted by or in partnership with the non-profit organization. Unless you are a recognized non-profit organization, documentation may be required to determine non-profit status. General fundraising is not considered to be non-profit for the purposes of licensing.

Does a nonprofit have to obtain a Retail Food Establishment License?

No. Nonprofits (as defined by the State Department of Revenue or by a 501-C-3 status) do not need to obtain a Retail Food Establishment License. However, they still must submit a vendor application prior to setting up at a Temporary Event and provide documentation of nonprofit status.

What do I need to do if I am a nonprofit and have an event inside/outside my facility (i.e., bake sale)?

In this case, the Health Department does not require any information to be submitted, but does recommend that you obtain of Temporary Event Brochure (on this website) and follow along with everything stated in the brochure.

What do I need to do if I am a nonprofit and have an event at a location other than my facility and other than a scheduled temporary event?

In this case, the Health Department requires notification and further evaluation to determine if the event meets requirements to allow food service by temporary or unlicensed vendors, such as non-profit organizations.

Chili cook-off... what is and isn't allowed?

Chili cook-offs come in many different types and sizes. If the food that is being prepared is for the judges only, then no license is required. If the food is being given away in samples and there was not a charge for it (such as $20 at the gate- then all the samples you want), then no license is required. Note: what does a sample mean? It means you are giving the food away in small portions (like in a Dixie cup) and it is not meant as a meal. If the food is being prepared and sold by the bowl, then a license would be required. In any case, the event coordinator should contact the Weld County Department of Public Health and Environment with information regarding the event.

If I roast chilies, do I need a license?

Yes. Chili roasting requires that you obtain a Retail Food Establishment License. Please see the Chili Roaster Review Packet on our website.


Environmental Health Services

1555 N 17th Ave
Greeley, Co 80631
Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. 
Phone: (970) 304-6415
Fax: (970) 304-6411