Skip To Content

What application do you need?

Retail Food Establishment

This is a retail operation that stores, prepares, or packages food for human consumption or serves or otherwise provides food for human consumption to consumers directly or indirectly through a delivery service, whether such food is consumed on or off the premises or whether there is a charge for such food. Examples include restaurants, convenience stores, schools, markets, concession stands, etc.

For additional information from the Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment, click here.

Please complete the Retail Food Establishment Plan Review Packet and License Application to apply for a Retail Food Establishment license located in Food Safety Forms.

Note:  While generally a home kitchen cannot be licensed as a retail food establishment, there may be circumstances in which a retail food establishment may exist at a residence if it is located in a separate, dedicated area with a separate entrance and provided with all other equipment and finishes required by the Colorado Retail Food Establishment Rules and Regulations. Municipal or county zoning regulations must also be followed. Please call (970) 304-6415 for more information before considering this option and especially before beginning any remodeling. 

Mobile Food Establishment

As defined by the State of Colorado, a mobile food establishment is a retail food establishment that reports to and operates from a commissary and is readily moveable; is a motorized wheeled vehicle; or a towed, wheeled vehicle designed and equipped to serve food.

For more information from the Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment, click here.

Please complete the Mobile Unit Food Establishment Plan Review Packet and License Application to apply for a Mobile Unit Retail Food Establishment License.

Farmers Market

Farmers markets selling only uncut fresh fruit and vegetables are exempt from licensing requirements of the Retail Food Protection Act. Samples of products may be offered to consumers by vendors that are not licensed as retail food establishments and therefore are not required to comply with the provisions of the Retail Food Establishment Rules and Regulations. Unlicensed vendors should follow these minimum sanitation guidelines to reduce the chance of forborne illness caused by unsafe food samples. To obtain a license go to the Mobile Unit Section (see above) on this page.

For more information about licensing and regulatory requirements, please contact the Environmental Health Services division at (970) 304-6415. For City of Greeley Sales Tax Licensing Information see the City of Greeley webpage.

More information also is available in Preparing & Offering Food Samples to Consumers and from the Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment's Retail Food Establishment Interpretation of Memo #02-02.

Chili Roasters

Please complete the Chili Roaster Plan Review Packet and License Application to apply for a Chili Roaster License.

Temporary Event

A temporary event is a single community event or celebration that occurs for a period of time no longer than 14 consecutive days. This may include town celebrations, fairs, and festivals. Temporary events do not include regularly scheduled series of events (flea markets, sporting arenas, concert halls, movie nights); events serviced by licensed caterers; or sporadic promotional events such as grand openings.

Click here for more information on temporary events.

Change of Ownership

If you are assuming ownership of a licensed retail food establishment and you meet the following conditions, you may submit the shorter “change of ownership” packet (see the links below under Plan Review Packet and Applications) rather than the full plan review packet.

    If any of the above conditions cannot be met, then you must complete and submit the Retail Plan Review and Application packet and the Retail Food Establishment License Application. These forms are available on our website (see the links to the right) or from the health department office at the address above.

    The change of ownership packet must include all information requested in the introductory letter that accompanies the packet. Failure to provide information in full may result in a delay in the processing of the license.

    Applications and Forms


    Environmental Health Services

    1555 North 17th Avenue 
    Greeley, CO 80631
    Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
    Phone: (970) 304-6415
    Fax: (970) 304-6411