Skip To Content

Burning RegulationsMan tends to a controlled burn in backyard

Open Burning Permits are issued for the control of the release of air pollutants. They are not permits for violating local ordinances or fire codes. Open burning can have negative effects on the health and safety of Weld County citizens due to the release of harmful air contaminants that may result in illness, cancer, or even death, and safety issues presented from the flames, smoke, and heat associated with open burning.

NOTICE: Due to continuing concerns with the COVID-19 pandemic and its associated threat to people with heart and/or lung disease, the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) highly discourages open burning at this time. If burning is absolutely necessary, please be considerate of nearby residents, especially those who may be suffering from cardiac or respiratory ailments.

Agriculturally Exempt Open Burning

Not all burns on agriculturally zoned land are considered agriculturally exempt burns. For a burn to be considered agriculturally exempt from obtaining an Open Burning Permit, it must fall into one of the following categories:

  • Irrigation or water conveyance ditch burn
  • Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) burn
  • Burning of vegetative detritus from a reservoir
  • Burning of stubble from a commercial annual row crop
  • Burning cropland vegetation for weed control
  • Burning to dispose of brush to improve forage for livestock on ranches
  • Burning of fruit trees, vine prunings, and cull trees in and from an orchard or nursery

For more information on the agricultural Open Burning Permit exemption, please refer to the agricultural exemption memo.

Applications and Forms

Open Burn Permit Application Conditions

Open burning permits may be issued for:

  • Burning tree limbs, branches, weeds.
  • Burning associated with open air human cremations, clean natural fiber cloth.
  • Ceremonial events or bonfires for athletic events and rallies.
  • Training and educational events involving fires, extinguishing fires, and fire safety.

Open Burning Permits will not be issued for:

  • Plastics, tires, plastic tarps, electric wiring, plumbing materials, plastic irrigation pipe and ducts.
  • Vehicles, trailers, mobile homes, campers, tents, or parts from these items.
  • Houses, barns, animal shelters, sheds, buildings, lean-to's, garages.
  • Chemicals of any kind: paint, fuels, polyurethane, thinners, solvents.
  • Furniture, coated wood, manufactured wood (laminates, plywood, particle board).
  • Electric wiring, boxes, electronic equipment, or anything with a circuit board.
  • Green lumber, leaves, recently cut limbs and logs.
  • Any compostable plant material.
  • Manure, urine-soaked materials, animals droppings, corral bedding.
  • Deceased animals and animal parts, offal.
  • Commercially derived materials (wastes from business entities).
  • Burning weeds in agriculturally exempt water conveyance structures (ditches, canals, etc.); See below.
  • Open field burning on agriculturally zoned land to control weeds or undesirable plants for the purpose of enhancing crop production or improving lands for animal grazing.
Fire District Contacts


Environmental Health Services

1555 North 17th Avenue 
Greeley, CO 80631
Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. 
Phone: (970) 304-6415
Fax: (970) 304-6411

Dani Serna

Environmental Health Specialist

Phone: (970) 400-2239