Your food choices can reduce your risk of illnesses such as heart disease, cancer, obesity, and diabetes, as well as defend against depression.
Additionally, learning the habits of healthy eating can boost your energy, sharpen your memory and stabilize your mood. You can expand your range of healthy food choices and learn how to plan ahead to create and maintain a satisfying, healthy diet. Simple choices will improve nutrition and overall health. Start eating better by:
- Eating plenty of fruit and vegetables (aim for fruit and vegetables at every meal)
- Picking healthy protein sources (lean meat, fish, nuts, legumes, and/or beans)
- Eating 100% whole grains (brown rice, 100% whole-grain breads, quinoa)
- Drinking water instead of sugary drinks (i.e., soda, sports drinks)
- Choosing healthy oils (like olive oil)
- Avoiding junk food