Civil Unions

A civil union license can be used anywhere in the State of Colorado. However, the license must be used within 35 days from the date of issue. The license is issued the day it is applied for and may be used immediately.

Civil Unions are issued between the hours of 8AM and 4:00PM Monday thru Friday by appointment at the following locations:

1250 H Street
Greeley, CO 80631


2950 9th Street
Ft. Lupton, CO 80621


4209 WCR 24 1/2
Longmont, CO 80504



Civil Union Fee: $30 Cash Only

Age Requirements: The applicants must be at least 18 years of age. If over 18 years old and under guardianship, you must have guardian permission.

Identification: All applicants must present a valid United States issued photo identification (U.S. state-issued driver’s license or permit, U.S. state-issued ID or U.S military ID) or a valid passport that is bilingual or multilingual and includes English.

Social Security Number: Both parties need to know their social security numbers.

Previous Marriages or Civil Unions: If either party has been divorced/dissolved or is widowed, we need to know the date, County and State. We do not need proof. The couple will be required to swear under oath that all information given is true and correct.

Absentee Application Form: If one party cannot appear, the applicants must obtain an absentee application from the Clerk and Recorder's office. The party applying must bring the absentee application along with a photo copy of the identification used by the notary for the absent party.  ABSENTEE APPLICATIONS MUST BE NOTARIZED.

Blood Test: Blood tests are not required for either applicant.

Who Can Perform a Civil Union: 

  • Judge
  • Court Magistrate
  • Parties to the Civil Union
  • Other public officials authorized to perform Civil Unions in accordance with any mode or solemnization recognized by a religious denomination or Indian tribe or nation.

If the couple chooses to perform their own ceremony, they must complete the lower portion of the Civil Union and sign as officiating party as well as parties to the Civil Union. The type of ceremony and words exchanged (if any) are their choice.

Certified Copies

Certified copies of civil unions recorded in Weld County are available for purchase in office or by mail. 

Download the Certified Request for Marriage/Civil Union License(PDF, 263KB)  form.

The cost is $3.00 per certified copy requested.