A Colorado auto dealer issues this permit when purchase of a new or used vehicle is made through the dealership. When the purchase of a vehicle is made from a private party, the new owner may, under certain circumstances obtain a temporary permit from our office.
Individual to Individual Sale
- The following paperwork can be submitted as proof of the sale:
- The assigned title or A Bill of Sale (notarized or signed under penalty of perjury) with proof of ownership, (registration, copy of title…) only when title is being held by a lienholder or a duplicate title has been applied for and is not yet available.
Delays in the Filing of the Mortgage (Paperwork has not been submitted by the bank)
- A temporary registration permit may be issued when there is proof that there has been a delay in the filing of the mortgage.
- Request from Financial Institution on a new purchase Letter from a financial institution indicating that a temporary registration permit may be issued.
- The letter must include: Date, Description of the vehicle, Names of the purchaser(s), state that the vehicle is being financed and all taxes collected in the loan.
- If any sales taxes are due, they must be paid at the time the temporary permit is issued. (See Sales Tax Information) The letter must be signed by an authorized agent for the financial institution. The permit cannot be issued for more than 60 days.
PROOF OF INSURANCE ON A VEHICLE OWNED BY THE INDIVIDUAL ISSUED THE PERMIT IS REQUIRED TO OBTAIN A TEMPORARY PERMIT. (SEE INSURANCE REQUIREMENTS)
SECURE & VERIFIABLE I.D. IS REQUIRED FROM THE INDIVIDUAL ISSUED A TEMPORARY PERMIT
A PERMIT MAY BE ISSUED TO AN INDIVIDUAL USING A POWER OF ATTORNEY.
FEES: $7.08 PLUS ANY APPLICABLE TAXES OR LATE FEES.
A permit may also be used to take a vehicle from Colorado to another state for licensing.
A second permit may be issued when a problem is discovered in the paperwork necessary for transfer of title to the new owner. A second permit is issued at our discretion and may be issued for less than 30 days.
- A temporary permit may not be issued for lack of funds.
- Temporary permits are issued at the discretion of the county clerk.
- Please contact our office for more information.