Cash Purchases Through a Colorado Dealership
The owner must come in person to one of our Weld County Clerk & Recorder branch offices to register the newly purchased vehicle.
Bring in the title and all your original purchase documents from the dealer (carbon copies are not permissible).
The dealer will provide a temporary permit, sales tax receipt, title or manufacturer’s statement of origin(MSO) and a title application (DR2395). The vehicle will be assigned as titled on the document. If multiple owners will be listed on the title the Joint Tenancy with Rights of Survivorship Acknowledgement of Intent section on the reverse side of the DR2395 must be completed.
Note: There is some buy here/pay here dealerships who require you to pick up your title work from them. You will need to verify with the dealership as to their procedures. If you do not have your original purchase documents, verify with your dealer the status of your paper work.
You will also need the following:
- New owner identification (secure and verifiable) or designated power of attorney.
Anyone other than a named owner must present a completed and notarized Form DR2175 Power of Attorney and their own identification (secure and verifiable).
- Proof of Colorado automobile insurance coverage. including a description of the vehicle with the following information: year, make, model, vehicle identification number (VIN), effective date and expiration date of the policy.
- Proof of Emissions: The dealership may provide you with an emission voucher if the vehicle is over 7 years old, or they will provide you with a passing emission test. Please verify with the dealer as to their procedure.
- Please be prepared to pay the appropriate licensing fees and ownership tax.
- If you have plates to transfer, bring in the plates & current registration.
Note: The information above is provided as a guideline to assist Weld County residents when purchasing a vehicle. There may be additional crucial papers required after a County Motor Vehicle Agent examines your documents.