Transfer of Ownership

The types of documents that can change ownership on a real property account include (but are not limited to): a deed, a manufactured home title, a court order, or a death certificate .  In some cases, there may be a need to file more than one type of document to complete the process. The documents must be recorded with the Weld County Clerk and Recorder's Office to be recognized by our office.

A deed must contain the following basic elements in order for the Assessor's Office to consider it valid:  Grantor and Grantee, words of conveyance, legal description of the property, signature of Grantor and a notary acknowledgement. 

If a document to change ownership is subject to a documentary fee by the county clerk and recorder, a Real Property Transfer Declaration and Guide (TD1000)(PDF, 166KB) may also be required.  If the completed Real Property Transfer Declaration is not returned to the county assessor, the assessor may impose a penalty of $25.00 or .025% (.00025) of the sale price, whichever is greater. This penalty may be imposed for any subsequent year that the buyer fails to submit the declaration until the property is sold (39-14-102(1)(b), C.R.S.).

If you have any questions about the preparation or filing of a document, please consult a real estate professional, attorney or title company.