The Victim / Witness Assistance Unit was established to assist victims of crime with information, support and education regarding the criminal justice system. For many victims, the frightening experience of a crime is followed by involvement with the legal system which can be confusing and stressful. The professionals assigned to the Victim Witness Assistance Unit make every effort to assist crime victims in recovering for the physical, emotional and financial impact of a crime.
The Unit can give you information about how the court system works and what is happening with your case. We can also talk to you about the impact of the crime and answer your questions.
Some of the services available are:
- Crime Victim Compensation Program,
- Restitution and Victim Impact Statement assistance,
- Information on the status of your case,
- Court accompaniment,
- On-Call System. This allows you to stay by a phone rather than wait long periods at the courthouse to testify in jury trials.
- Call-Off System. We attempt to call you as soon as we know an event in your case has been continued or called off,
- Witness Fee Information,
- Employer Intervention,
- Referral to other services which may be of help to you,
- Transportation and lodging, as necessary, when subpoenaed to testify,
- Interpretation and special needs services.
Please keep us updated and provide your current phone numbers and addresses so we will be able to keep you informed.